A number of years ago, when we lived near a lake, we decided to take up sailing as a "hobby". We saved some money and bought a small used sailboat ( like the one in the photo). We took a few lessons from the boat shop owner.....then took off on the "winds and the waves"!
I recently read a book titled, Leaders Who Last (1) by Dave Kraft, where he quotes John Ortberg (2) concerning "spiritual disciplines" and the difference between motorboats, rafts, and sailboats.
Ortberg says, "In a motorboat, 'I'm in charge. I determine how fast I go, and in what direction. Some people approach spiritual disciplines that way. If I'm aggressive enough...if I have enough quiet times, I can make transformation happen on my own."
He adds, "Some people have been burned by that approach...and go in the opposite extreme and will say, 'I'm into grace'. It's like they're floating on a raft. If you ask them to do anything to further their growth, they'll say, 'I'm not into works, I'm into grace. Your getting legalistic with me.' So, they drift."
He concludes, "On a sailboat however, I don't move if it's not for the wind. I can't control the wind. I don't manufacture the wind. Jesus talks about the Spirit blowing like a wind. A good sailor will discern, 'Where's the wind at work? How should I set my sails?' Practicing spiritual disciplines is like sailing."
As I read that, I immediately thought of the words of my favorite Clifton Jansky song, "Wind of God". The chorus says:
"Wind of God.....blow through me.
Wind of God.....set my spirit free.
I set my sail.....and I won't move until....
The wind of God......blows through me."
In Henry Blackaby's Experiencing God materials, he says that we are to look for where God is moving.....and then join HIM in what He's doing.!
In my very limited experiences (and even more limited expertise) in sailing, I know that if the wind isn't blowing.....you don't go anywhere!
If the wind is blowing...you have to maneuver your sails into a position so that the wind moves you along it its power and direction.
Reaching your destination is not totally dependent on you. But, it's as you work in harmony with the wind (the power source) that you accomplish something on your journey.
Spiritual disciplines and leadership qualities in our lives work the same way.
I was just thinkin'........are you a "motorboat" Christian/leader? Are you a "raft" person? Or, are you a "sailboat saint"?
Let's get out there and "set our sails"......and wait for the "wind" of God's Spirit to move us in the direction He wants us to go.!
Tommy (Prov. 16:3)
(1) Leaders Who Last, Dave Kraft, Crossway, Wheaton, Ill, 2010.
(2) John Ortberg interview in Leadership Journal, Winter 2004

All of us are made like motorboats but God wants us to live like rafts!
ReplyDeleteYours,
Rayomarine