Only because my wife has been a visual specialist in the public schools, do I even know what "myopia" means!
It's a surprisingly short medical word for nearsightedness.
I was watching a segment of the "Today" Show recently and a man was having contact lenses surgically attached to his eyeballs to correct his myopia.
I didn't watch too much of it, because I get the "willies" when I see someone messing with eyeballs!
But, while I was listening to them talk about all the things concerned with the surgery....and all the technical things about myopia, I began to think about the church.
I was just thinkin'........if there are any churches suffering from myopia!
Are there some churches that are nearsighted? I mean.....are there churches that can't see much beyond their own doors?
In the days we are living, if the church is going to have any significant impact on the
non-Christian world.....it's going to have to be "farsighted" (the medical word is: hyperopic).
Our vision is going to have to look beyond the walls of our churches to have any effect on the people around us.
I know of a church that is sitting in the middle of a very rural area near a very small town with a population of less than 1000. The church is ancient, and the pastor (at that time) was well into his retirement years. The town--and surrounding area--is predominately German and Catholic.
Yet, the little church---which was hardly running 50 on a good Sunday morning---was running well over 70 adults and children for their Wednesday night activities!
Obviously, this little church had 20/20 vision that extended way beyond its historical, antique doors.
When I think of the word "vision" in context with the church, I think of that verse from Proverbs that says, "Where there is no vision, the people perish." (28:19) In the original language, the word "vision" means: mental sight, dream, revelation, prophecy.
If the church is going to reach people, it's going to have to have "mental sight" and a "dream" that goes beyond its walls!
The church cannot be "myopic" about God's commission to reach people.
Is your church nearsighted.......or farsighted?
Tommy

No comments:
Post a Comment